Friday 7 March 2014

El Teatro Romano



Recycled Corinthian capitals


A general view of the Roman theatre
I have always been fascinated by the Romans, with their feats of construction and engineering and, having only had a brief glimpse of the Roman aqueduct in Segovia at night, during my previous visit to Spain, I wanted to make the most of this occasion.

Although my trip to Cartagena coincided with the only cloudy day during my week in Murcia, I was able to take a comprehensive set of photographs that show the theatre in a good light.


Reconstructed columns
Having never seen a structure like this before, I was struck by its dramatic scale and location and, although I have since learned that there has been some criticism of the restoration, as with the Roman theatre in Valencia, I was very impressed by what I saw.

Looking at old photographs, it is very obvious that the site has been enhanced, to attract tourists, but I think that there is a good balance between conservation and restoration. 

Together with the displays in the museum, you certainly get a good impression of what the theatre must have been like and I would certainly recommend visitors to the region of Murcia to see this fascinating place.


Miscellaneous stones
Wandering around, I was interested in the variety of stones that I observed and, possessing good experience of publicising the educational value of ancient monuments here in England, I came back home with some new ideas.

The good response to the e-mails that I have sent, to express my interests in the geology of Cartagena, makes me look forward to developing my ideas here - in the future.




A general view of the Roman theatre



No comments:

Post a Comment